Friday, February 25, 2011

Small Group Discussion Questions: in or out? opinions needed

At what point do small group discussion questions become more a hindrance than a help? I am in youth ministry culture shock. I have only been back in the youth group setting for 3 weeks and there are so many things that are strange to me. Small groups at Third Place have been operating with small group questions as long as I can remember. In fact, it has been so long that I am not sure what the original intent was for the questions themselves. I can remember using them under three youth pastors, and in various settings. In the state of youth minsitry cutlure shock, I am asking all sorts of why questions. Why have small group questions? This got me thinking: do small group leaders really need these questions? Most volunteers are capable of starting conversations with adolescents, and some have been facilitating small group discussions for a long time as well. Are the small group questions more a hindrance than a help? At what point(s) are they needed? or even beneficial? at what point do they become a crutch?

Ok.. that is the subject on the table. I want to hear what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment